Mom looked for him in the National Audubon Society Field Guide. It is a “wheel bug” or Arilus cristatus. I copied the following from the Field Guide:
Description: 1 1/8 – 1 3/8" Gray-brown to black. Prothorax raised into a curved series of coglike teeth along midline, inspiring the common name. Nymph is blood-red with black markings.
Habitat: Meadows and crop fields.
Range: East of the Rocky Mountains, from southern Canada south to the Gulf states.
Food: Caterpillars, even large ones including hornworms, Japanese Beetle larvae, and other insects.
Life Cycle: Eggs are laid in clusters on foliage. One generation a year.
This handsome predator can give a painful stab when it defends itself from a carless handler.”
I did not read the part about the painful stab until after I had captured and brought him in for Mom to see. Fortunately, I used a paper towel to handle him and did not get stabbed. When I saw the part about eating caterpillars and other insects, I wished we had lots more of these guys in the garden.
Harper Lyn Easton
1 year ago

5 comments:
I want video of a stabbing incident! But i'll settle for a caterpillar being devoured.
I second the motion for a caterpillar devouring! That is freaky looking bug.
Wow, that is a cool looking bug. You should keep it as a pet and feed it caterpillars. Maybe it wags its tail when it eats like the leopard geckos.
That is a really cool looking bug. I've never seen one like it before.
I wanna see a fight with a praying mantis.
Post a Comment