While in Arizona for Charlotte's blessing, we decided to go to Sabino Canyon on Saturday. Sabino Canyon is north of Tucson and is around 3000 feet elevation. There is a stream coming down the canyon but the low elevation still makes it somewhat desert like. There is an abundance of Saguaro cacti. There is a tram/shuttle that takes people 3.8 miles up the canyon an then returns. There are 9 stops along the way and the trams run every 30 minutes so you can ride or walk whatever portions you want. We needed two benches for our group.

Right next to the tram was a roadrunner. I did not see the cayote, but I am sure he was not too far away. The roadrunner did not seem to be very afraid of people.

We took the tram all the way to the end of the road at the back of the canyon and got off at stop 9.

At the back of the canyon, there is an alternate adventurous route down to stop 7. John, Becky, Neil and I decided to take the long trail (2 miles of trail to get to where it was less than a mile by road). This trail had some great views.

We stopped at the back of the canyon for this group shot of the four of us using the 10 second timer on our camera. Neil expertly pressed the buton and quickly made it to where we were just in time for the photo. Good job Neil.

We made it back down to the road and met up with the rest of the group. They were waiting for us where the road crossed the stream and where the stream formed lots of small pools. What happens when there are bodies of water and lots of rocks and kids under 100 years old arrive? The rocks get thrown in the water, of course. Neil is teaching the young ones how to find and throw rocks in the water.

John and Neil got on opposite sides of a 20 foot diameter pool and threw rocks in the water in order to splash each other. I did not see how wet Neil got, but John had some good splash marks on him.
We road the tram back down the canyon from stop 7.
After we got back to the cars, we drove a short distance to Coldstone for ice cream. Below, you can see blue ice cream (cotton candy flavor) going down the hatch.

After we got back to the house, we had amazingly good fettuccine alfredo for dinner. It was a really fun day.
3 comments:
That canyon looks cool. And it's nice that you can be lazy and get tram rides for parts of it. I'm very impressed at how far Neil ran for the shot in 10 seconds. Good job.
That sounds like a really cool place. I love that there is a tram ride to the top.
I had such a good time in the canyon. I thought the desert landscape was really quite beautiful. Heavenly Father did a good job with that whole "creation" thing. I'm impressed that Neil was able to make it back in time for the camera shot. That looks like a long run.
Post a Comment