Thursday, October 20, 2011

What Happened to the Third Reich?

Last week, I had a very short business trip to Nuremberg Germany.  It was a hectic trip.  My flight left Saturday evening, Oct 7th and arrived in Frankfurt Sunday afternoon.  We then took a train to Nuremberg.  On Monday, we had meetings with a potential customer.  Tuesday morning, we had another short meeting and then went directly to the train back to Frankfurt.  I then caught my flight back to San Francisco, arriving Tuesday evening, 71 hours after I left on Saturday.
Because of the short trip, there was not much time for site seeing.  Even though I had my cell phone camera, I really did not take many photos.  The few I did take were not very good. 
There is a photo at the bottom that is not very good that I took with my cell phone, but the story behind it is interesting so I will include it anyway.  In 1936 A large stone building was built to house transformers for the growing electrical needs of the Third Reich.  Here is an old photo from the internet.  Notice the Reichsadler (Realm eagle - Symbol of Hitler's empire) on the end of the building.
Today, this building is a Burger King located about a half block from the Hilton Hotel where I stayed.  This photo is also from the internet.
You can see where the Reichsadler used to be on the end of the building.  It is now a regular Burger King, complete with children’s play area.  This is a great monument to remembering the past but moving into the future. 
This is the photo I took with my cell phone in the taxi as we were leaving.  

I also saw lots of McDonalds and Subway restaurants in addition to the traditional German restaurants.

2 comments:

Karen C. said...

Wow, that is really interesting. That is a pretty fancy building for a Burger King. I love learning a little bit of history along the way. I'm sorry they had to remove the Reichsadler image because it was kind of artistic--but I understand that Germany has no desire to honor Hitler in any way. Thanks for this interesting blog.

Katie said...

That's kinda funny they turned it into a burger king. It really does look like a pretty building in the top picture.