Monday, November 17, 2008

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

When Mom and I went on our 30th anniversary cruise, were on the Carnival Valor. There were some aspects of our experience on Carnival that was not as enjoyable as our experiences on Royal Caribbean cruises. One of the areas that Carnival did a really good job on was the food, especially deserts. One of their best deserts was “Warm Chocolate Melting Cake”. It is an individually baked cake that has a hot center of chocolate fudge like sauce. I was able to find a website that had the recipe that Carnival uses. There were two different versions, so we needed to try them both. I think I am getting close to getting it exactly like we had it on the cruise. This photo shows what it looks like after my first two bites when I made it last week.

I tried it with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. It was good that way too, except the ice cream cooled the hot chocolate center down.
Last week, Mom bought some Ghirardelli gormet baking chocolate. Last night I used the 60% Cacao dark bittersweet version and it came our really good. I did not get a photo of this version, but it was a darker brown and tasted even better than the version shown above. Mom also bought some 72% Cacao Ghirardelli gormet baking chocolate that I have not tried yet. I think I am getting close to getting the recipe perfected.

We are planning on making this one night while everyone is here for Christmas.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh yum! I can't wait. This looks alot like the chocolate souffle that they serve at Roy's. It was one of the resturants we went to in Hawaii.

Sheri E. said...

This looks really yummy. I'm excited to try it!

Sheri E. said...

This was really really good! I'm glad you made some while you were here.