Thursday, April 8, 2010

First Spring Harvest

With the warm weather we have had (over 80 degree highs for a week) the plants have been responding. The asparagus has started sending up new shoots.
I picked the first ones yesterday afternoon, but Mom was not home yet, so I put them in the refrigerator so she could have some after she got home. We will have them as a small appetizer with tonight’s dinner of shrimp mango tacos.

The warm weather has caused the strawberry plants to blossom and start forming berries earlier than normal. We do not normally get strawberries to eat until about Mother’s day, but the blossoms came early this year, so we may have the first strawberries to eat around May 1st when everyone is here. At least we can hope.The fruit trees have been blossoming for the last week. Here are the nashi trees. Since the squirrels end up eating most of the fruit, I do not get as excited about the fruit trees as I used to.
I took this photo of the redbud trees in the woods in front of the house this morning in the light of the sunrise. I wish the flowering trees kept the blossoms longer, but the trees seem to be about the business of producing seeds for the next generation. I can enjoy it while it lasts.

6 comments:

Katie said...

It's all so beautiful. Thanks for posting the pictures so we can see it. And I'm very jealous of your tender, yummy asparagus.

neil said...

I love the tree flowers in the spring. Are the dogwoods out yet?

Alan C said...

Dogwoods are not out yet. they are usually about a week or two behind the redbuds.

Sheri E. said...

I'm excited about the prospect of eating asparagus AND strawberries when we come visit.

Julie Knight said...

These pictures make me miss home! I love the spingtime when all of the plants start blooming and growing. I'm so excited to be coming out soon. Lets hope for at least one strawberry! We can divide it 20 ways and each try a piece:)

John said...

I'm jealous that you have asparagus ready to eat already. I barely planted some before I went in for surgery. I also planted some strawberries. I love the picture of the flowering trees.