Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mark gets introduced to Stir Fry Udon and Gyoza


Last week I was talking to Mark and found out that he had never had gyoza. He had eaten the Chinese style dumplings (usually steamed) but had not had the Japanese style gyoza before. When we have gyoza, we usually have rice with them. Since Mark does not like rice, I was trying to think of other foods that go well with gyoza. In Japan and also in Japanese restaurants here in California, I have had some wonderful noodle soups (like ramen except a hundred times better with meat and vegetables in them). I did not have a recipe that I had confidence in so I asked Mark if he had eaten stir fried udon before. He said no, so I told him that I would make stir fry udon and gyoza for him. I love gyoza and I love stir fry udon, but I was not sure how well they would go together.

While Mom is in Utah, Mark and I decided to go to a movie. We saw "Source Code" Saturday afternoon. I highly recommend the movie. I enjoyed it. It is kind of a crime solving science fiction movie that has some chic flick elements in it.

After dinner I cooked the gyoza and stir fry. This is Mark getting ready to eat.
Usually, when we have stir fry udon, I keep eating and there is a lot less leftovers than there should have been. The same thing happens with gyoza. But with stir fry AND gyoza, there were actually leftovers of both. I look forward to the leftovers. We had Henry Weinhard's root beer with dinner. It was all good.

5 comments:

neil said...

Wow. I want to go on a date with dad too. Udon and gyoza and Henry Weinhard's!

John said...

That looks like a great dinner. That movie sounds good too. I tried to go see it once but it was sold out.

Katie said...

That looks so good! I really need to start trying some of your newer recipes. I'm still making haystacks and spaghetti for dinners, with teryaki sauce in both of course. :)

Karen C. said...

Dang it! How come I missed this yummy dinner. I'm sure I would have hurried home for it if only you had given me enough warning. It looks delicious. Good Job!

Julie Knight said...

I can't believe Mark hadn't had your gyoza! He is a lucky boy now. I love udon noodles too. I don't think I could ever get tired of udon noodles. Nice dinner fixins Dad.