Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Truly Enjoyable Saturday

Yesterday, I went to the Children’s Discovery Museum with Katie, Ryan and Lucas.  The museum is just north of San Francisco on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge.  This museum is similar to the one in San Jose except is has more fun outdoor things for little kids to do.  The one in San Jose has more indoor things.
We first went to the “stream” where they had plastic fish and frogs that kids could “assist” in their swimming.

 We then went to an area where there were foam blocks that could be built into cool structures.  
 He liked climbing the tower with Dad.
 He also liked the large granite frog head,
 and the spider web.
 He had fun in the large log.

 He had an easier time walking through than I did.
 He visited the cave, but there were too many silly girls.
 He liked the plastic tunnel.  It was great for crawling through.
 And driving trucks on.
 The truck also went up the ramp.
 At lunch, we enjoyed a fun picnic.  Lucas likes bananas.
 After lunch we did more of the indoor things.  There was a water tank with wind blowing across it.  There were foam parts that creative sail boats could be constructed from and tested.  Lucas liked playing with it, but I think engineers Katie and Ryan also like building boats to try out.
 There were tunnels to walk through if you were short enough.  Taller people had to crawl.
 Lucas especially liked the trains more than any other indoor activity. 
 Back outside again, he was hiding from Grandpa behind the fence.
 This was the view out the door of one of the museum buildings.  The Golden Gate Bridge is very close.  There were lots of sail boats out on the bay enjoying the temperatures in the mid to upper 70s and sunshine with a light breeze.
 When it was time to go, I spent an extra 30 minutes to find a couple of geocaches that were very close by.  These were virtual caches where you just go to the location and find some information to email to the person who created the “cache”.  Apparently, the police in that area get very concerned about hidden containers and do not allow them.  There was a great view of the sail boats on the bay with Alcatraz Island on the right.
 Further to the right in the next photo is downtown San Francisco.
 Further yet to the right in the final photo is the Golden Gate Bridge.

I ended the day by talking to Mom and Neil on the phone while driving home and then making cheese and chocolate fondue for dinner with John and Becky and watching the Cardinals in game 3 of the World Series with a 16-7 win.  It was a very fine day.

3 comments:

Katie said...

You got some good pictures. It was fun having you come with us.

Sheri E. said...

That looks like a really fun place! I like all the outdoor stuff.

Karen C. said...

I love that you got so many pictures. Lucas is such a cute little guy. San Francisco is a beautiful city. Too bad the traffic is so daunting. I hope you'll make more fondue when I get home. I really love chocolate fondue. Thanks for calling me on the phone. I miss you!