Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Day after Thanksgiving: Big basin

The Day after Thanksgiving was the day before Neil and Ashley drove back to Arizona.  We went to Big Basin and walked through the redwood forest.  The group consisted of John, Neil, Ashley, Sadie, Madoc, Charlotte and me.  In walking from where we parked, we passed by the big tree stump.  The climbers could not pass up obvious invitation to stand on top for a photo.

 The road also passes what I like to call a goblin tree.  John was feeding kids to the tree.  The tree spit them back out.
 The sun light through the trees was particularly pretty that day.
 Ashley, Sadie and Madoc are in front of the tree that is burned out in the center.  Even though you can see out the top of this hollow tree, it is still very much alive
 Of course, there were logs to climb and walk on.
 John led the way.
 No trip to Big Basin is complete unless some banana slugs are found.  Madoc was happy to show off this banana slug… without actually touching, it of course.

Another fun day with grandchildren.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That sunlight picture is really pretty. I like the picture of John leading the way on the log too. Big Basin is so pretty.

John said...

That was a fun trip. I love going to Big Basin. I read about another place nearby that I think we should go visit. We'll have to plan a hiking trip.