For my first blog entry, I thought I would talk about the 3 day canoe trip Joseph and I went on with the scouts on June 10-12. In the past, we have done 3 day trips on the Current River about once every two years. John, Neil, Bret and Joseph have each done these trips multiple times. We have been hearing some good things about the Elevenpoint River, so Jon Wood and I decided we should try it this year. We had 3 adults and 11 boys on this trip. The three Adults were Jon Wood, James Wood and me.
The water level was up higher than normal this year, so there were some really good rapids; even some class 2 rapids in one spot. It was pretty fun. There were two things that everyone decided was better about the Current River. The number one difference is the cliffs for jumping into deep water. There weren’t any on the Elevenpoint River. This was a disappointment to the adventure loving boys. The water was not as clear as we had seen in the past on the Current River. Some of this may have been due to the increased water flow due to the way above normal rainfall.
Most of the Canoes ended up capsizing or at least filling up with water and needed to be emptied out.
And river banks that really did not count as a cliff.
It has always been a tradition to catch crawdads or crayfish on the first day and cook them up for dinner the first night.This is captain Joseph with the mighty monster.
When they found a cave, they just had to explore it.


We carefully planned all of the things we needed for the float trip, but we forgot to bring any eating utensils. We did not let that stop us from eating. The first night, we made chopsticks by carving sticks with pocket knives and used them to eat our foil packs of chicken cooked in Yoshida’s sauce over rice. We used them again for our breakfast foil packs of bacon, scrambled eggs, and hash browns.
We carefully planned all of the things we needed for the float trip, but we forgot to bring any eating utensils. We did not let that stop us from eating. The first night, we made chopsticks by carving sticks with pocket knives and used them to eat our foil packs of chicken cooked in Yoshida’s sauce over rice. We used them again for our breakfast foil packs of bacon, scrambled eggs, and hash browns.
Joseph made a spoon from a large stick for eating his beef stew.
We ended out trip without losing a single person, by I think a few belongings got eaten by the river. Everyone was tired and ready to go home.

3 comments:
That looks like a fun trip, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. I like the idea to use chopsticks. The menu sounds pretty tasty too, especially the pancakes!
Wow, I'm really impressed by you guys making chopsticks, and by Joseph's spoon. That looks like it was a lot of fun. I like the name of your blog and your name, Old Man Crapo. God job Dad!
I love the chopsticks! Jophus is such a whittling hero to give away his spoon. Too bad about the absense of cliffs, but rapids are pretty cool too. Long live the crawfish!
Post a Comment