I do not mean to disparage the people I work with, but we really do have turkeys at Emerson. Several years ago, two female wild turkeys were noticed in the woods on Emerson property. The company president thought it would be cool if there were more turkeys, so he had a couple of domesticated male turkeys brought in. The male turkeys didn’t like hanging out in the woods, they were not afraid of people and loved to look at their own reflections in the glass doors of the buildings as they strutted with their feathers puffed up. After about a month of the maintenance people cleaning up the turkey droppings in front of the building entrances, they got rid of the males. The male turkeys apparently at least said “hi” to the wild female turkeys because a few months later there were lots of young turkeys roaming around Emerson property. They stay away from the buildings, but they do not seem to be very afraid of people. They will run away if you get within about 10 feet of them. I think there are currently about 15 to 20 turkeys living off the land at Emerson. I passed close to a few of them while walking to another building for a meeting in the middle of the day and took these photos with my cell phone.

Before anyone thinks I need to bring one of these to Tucson in November, I’m pretty sure Mom will not want turkey droppings on the back seat, and besides, the turkey would go after the bags of rice I was going to bring. I think we ought to stick to a store bought turkey.
4 comments:
They look too small to feed our ginormous family. You might need to bring the whole flock and then people at Emerson might get suspicious.
Dad, you just need to kill the turkey before you put it in the car. That way it can't eat your delicious rice.
I have heard that fresh turkeys are much tastier than frozen. And if we fatten them up with some rice it might not take so many of them to feed our family...
I remember the male turkeys from when I used to work there. That's awesome that there are turkey babies now. We don't want to eat these turkeys, though. Wild turkeys that are allowed to roam free aren't nearly as tender as the farm raised, butter fed, not allowed to walk turkeys. Much fattier and tastier.
Post a Comment