Thursday, November 11, 2010

I love Japanese Food

A few days ago John told me about a large Japanese store in San Jose on Saratoga Avenue just south of I280. I looked it up on the Internet. It is called Mitsuwa. This is a full sized grocery store that is entirely Japanese items. This is a photo of the large bags of rice.
This is the shelf of the various kinds of rice in smaller bags, including Haiga and partially polished brown rice.
There is an entire shopping center that is focused on Japanese stuff including a large book store and and a few restaurants. There are two restaurants that are suppose to have good gyoza on their menu. One of them is called "Hana". It is a small place but they make their gyoza in front of the front window.
I went there for dinner tonight. They serve the gyoza steamed (sui) or fried (yaki). I ordered the yaki gyoza with rice, broccoli, salad, and sweet and sour mushroom soup. I also ordered Calpico to drink.
It was quite good. The gyoza was good, but not quite as good as the stuff we have made ourselves. It was good to hear people speaking Japanese. Like many of these small Japanese places, I did not see any forks in the restaurant.

3 comments:

Sheri E. said...

That looks like such a cool place. I don't think we have any good asian food stores close to us. That gyoza looks pretty yummy!

Katie said...

That does look really cool. I wouldn't mind going there and trying out some authentic food.

John said...

I really need to go see this place. It looks very cool. I'm glad you liked it!