Saturday, November 27, 2010

Geocaching along the Bonneville Shorline Trail with Bret

On the Saturday afternoon of Thanksgiving weekend, Bret and I went for a hike along the Bonneville Shorline Trail between Rock Canyon and Slate Canyon in Provo, Utah. We parked at Rock Canyon. The round trip hike was 6.5 miles. This was the view of Provo early in the hike when the sun was behind the clouds.
We saw lots of deer along the trail. This one ran past us to join his cousins.
They have fences and poles close together to keep out people that had too much to eat for Thanksgiving. Bret and I both made it through without too much difficulty.
As it was getting dark, the sunset caused some pretty colors and the city lights became more visible.
As it got darker, the shutter stayed open longer making it look lighter than it really was. This shot was taken looking northwest toward point of the mountain.
This shot is looking southwest. The tallest peek in the back is Mt. Nebo.
We still found three more caches after these last photos were taken. We found 10 of the 13 geocaches we looked for. By the time we found the last geocache, it was pretty dark. We then turned around and walked the 3 miles back to the car in the dark. Many of the geocaches we found we from a series called Utah slang caches. Most of them were terms I had heard many times before but some of them were terms Bret and I had not heard before. The cache names we found (in the order we found them) were: Fetchen, Gosh Darnit, Fricken, Sheesh, Dad Gummitt, Let me in, OSH, Golly G. I was not familiar with "Let me in" and "OSH" or what they mean. The others were not new. These caches were all easy to find and right along the trail. Even though it was pretty dark for the walk back, there was snow on the ground and the trail was snow free (mostly) so the reflection of the city lights off the clouds was enough for us to easily find our way back. It was a really fun afternoon/evening hike.

1 comment:

Katie said...

That does look like a really fun hike. A very good activity for after Thanksgiving dinner. I'm glad to hear you still fit in between the poles. I tried to look up OSH online, but all I could find was Osh, Kyrgyzstan, and a couple unlikely abbreviations like Occupational safety and health, and open source hardware. Those are pretty funny names though.